• slide01.jpg
  • slide02.jpg
  • slide03.jpg
  • slide04.jpg
  • slide05.jpg
  • slide06.jpg
  • slide07.jpg
  • slide08.jpg
  • slide09.jpg
  • slide10.jpg
  • slide11.jpg
  • slide12.jpeg
  • slide13.jpg
  • slide14.jpg

 

In 1924 the property became freehold and was bought by Mr William Riddiford of Brampton for £650.00 for his daughter Olive, who was married to Herbert Rapley and he became a popular postmaster and shopkeeper.

Herbert Rapley – shopkeeper & postmaster c. 1925 

In 1928 Herbert was killed in a tragic accident on Houghton Hill when the chain snapped on a heavy lorry, causing it to crash into the pony and trap in which he was travelling back from market with Ernest Walker, who survived.

Olive Rapley had already bought the property from her father for £1,000 but now moved out and leased it, first to two ladies, Eleanor Connor and Eveline Balmforth and then in 1933 to George Islip. George ran the business for fifteen years. He was a popular wartime shopkeeper and could always be relied upon to produce that ‘little something’ from under the counter for a special occasion. He survived the Floods of 1947 when he arrived one morning to find his tins of biscuits and other stock floating in about three feet of water! George retired in 1948 and the business and property was put up for sale.

The boys returned from Canada and Jack settled down to run the bakery having married Florence Triplow in 1924. Jack & ‘Flo’ delivered the bread by pony & trap somewhat erratically!



Jack Burton Village Baker 1924

Tom the pony knew the route via the Three Horseshoes and The Three Jolly Butchers and was known to kick the pub door until the landlady Hannah Upchurch gave him a lump of sugar. They earned the name of ‘The midnight bakers’ due to the lateness of the deliveries!


The Green - the 1947 floods

Jack continued to bake during the 1947 floods until the rising waters put out the fire in the bread oven. By about 1956 they became unable to compete with progress in the shape of ‘the white sliced loaf’ delivered by motor van and poor Tom the pony was put out to grass!

 

1847 - 1920